Welcome!

Holocaust Education & Archive Research Team

Holocaust Research Project

Subscribe to Holocaust Research Project: eMailAlertsEmail Alerts
Get Holocaust Research Project via: homepageHomepage mobileMobile rssRSS facebookFacebook twitterTwitter linkedinLinkedIn


Related Topics: CEOs in Technology, Holocaust Research Project, Government News, Personal Bankruptcy

Blog Feed Post

The destruction of Tomaszow Mazowiecki

 Tomaszow Mazowiecki

A town and its destruction under the Nazi Occupation
 

Jews persecuted in Tomaszow Mazowiecki
Map showing Tomaszow Mazowiecki (click text to enlarge)

Tomaszow Mazowiecki during the inter-war years had a Jewish population of about 10,000 approximately this was one third of the town’s population. Most Jews in Tomaszow Mazowiecki were merchants or artisans, although a substantial number also held blue or white-collar jobs at an artificial silk factory.

A number belonged to Jewish Trade Unions - the community had many charitable institutions, including an orphanage, and an old-people’s home that was supported by donations from Polish expatriates.

A range of educational institutions included three Szabasowka schools, a Talmud Torah run by Agudath Israel, a bilingual Polish-Hebrew Jewish high school, a Jewish popular college that was also attended by non-Jews, and Polish high schools.

Zionist political Parties and youth movements ran a pioneering training centre, The Bund, its youth movement, and Agudath Israel were active as well. Many Jews belonged to a local chapter of the Communist Party. Most Parties sponsored cultural associations, drama groups and libraries. By the eve of the Second World War, the Jewish population had increased to approximately 13,000.

Nazi leaders view the town of Tomaszow Mazowiecki
Nazi leaders view the town of Tomaszow Mazowiecki

The Germans occupied Tomaszow Mazowiecki on the 5 September 1939 and within eight days they had arrested about 1,000 inhabitants of the town, including some 300 Jews, and in the process sent 90 Jewish men to the Buchenwald concentration camp in Germany, only 13 were alive at the end of the war in 1945.

The Germans also abducted Jews for forced labour and the Germans imposed harsh restrictions, Jews were only allowed to circulate in the town streets between eight o’clock in the morning and noon. The Germans burnt down the Great Synagogue on the 16 October and set fire two other houses of worship on the 7 and 14 November

During the first few months of the occupation, a number of Tomaszow Mazowiecki Jews, including many youths, fled to Soviet controlled territory, in spite of this the towns Jewish population increased due to a large influx of refugees from Lodz and Warsaw.

Jews are rounded up in Tomaszow Mazowiecki
Jews are rounded up in Tomaszow Mazowiecki

In late 1939 in line with Reinhard Heydrich’s, the head of the RSHA, edict a Judenrat was established under Baruch Shoeps and his deputy Leibush Warsager and a Jewish Order Service was set up under Josef Goldberg. In late 1940, after the Gestapo arrested Shoeps and beat him to death, Warsager took over as Chairman of the Judenrat.

In early December, the Judenrat was ordered to furnish the Germans with 1,000 Jewish labourers daily and during the period 1940 -1942 hundreds of Jewish men from Tomaszow Mazowiecki were sent to the Zawada labour camp and other locations.

A ghetto was established on the 20 December 1940, in three different parts of the town under the command of the county governor Karl Giehn. Jews were not permitted to leave the ghetto without permits, but many violated this restriction.

Read more here: http://www.holocaustresearchproject.org/nazioccupation/tomaszow-mazowiecki.html

The Holocaust Education & Archive Research Team

www.HolocaustResearchProject.org

Copyright Carmelo Lisciotto H.E.A.R.T 2012



Copyright Carmelo Lisciotto H.E.A.R.T 2010

Read the original blog entry...

More Stories By Holocaust Research Project

The aim of H.E.A.R.T is to inform and educate people about the Holocaust and the extermination programs conducted by the Nazi regime throughout Europe during the Second World War.

H.E.A.R.T research and material is contributed from a group of independent Holocaust researchers who devote their spare time to research for the production of this website and other forms of related publications, such as leaflets and books.

H.E.A.R.T is run by its trustees and directors, who manage the daily administration of the website, review all research materials, fact checking, and addressing any required corrections.

Most materials presented on the H.E.A.R.T website originate in Poland, Germany, the former Soviet Union, and the United Kingdom as well as from private sources in the USA and other countries.

H.E.A.R.T currently accepts no new membership however we do maintain affiliations with educational institutions and private associations that contribute articles, photos, rare documents, etc.

Contributed text and pages will appear on the website as a "Guest Publication" with the author maintaining full copyright to the submitted text however page design and layout is owned by © H.E.A.R.T. All other material presented on this website is subject to H.E.A.R.T copyright however all pages may be used “Freely” providing the source is credited as the following:

"Courtesy of the Holocaust Education & Archive Research Team www.HolocaustResearchProject.org " © H.E.A.R.T www.HolocaustResearchProject.org